GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT PROFILE: WANUMETONOMY GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB, MIDDLETOWN, RI (NEWPORT)
Wanumetonomy Golf and Country Club is looking for a Golf Course Superintendent with strong agronomic and leadership skills with a passion for providing exceptional golfing conditions.
WANUMETONOMY GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB
Wanumetonomy Golf and Country Club is a private golf club located in Middletown Rhode Island 5 miles away from Newport. The course was established in 1922 and is a Seth Raynor designed course. The course has wonderful views of Narragansett Bay on several holes and the wind often plays a factor. Wanumetonomy is a 6400 yards in length par 70 course. From a golf perspective, Wanumetonomy is a challenging course especially if your approach shots are off target as deep bunkers await every player on many of the greens. There are five holes under 350 yards and features only one par 5 that is only reachable for the longest of hitters. Wanumetonomy is moderately sloped, with approximately 100’ of grade change from the clubhouse (East Property Edge) down to the 6th hole and adjacent Bay (West Property Edge). What is unique about this golf course layout is that you rarely feel the grade change, as many of the holes run across and down, but never directly into the slopes. In addition, only once do consecutive holes run in the same direction (holes 7 & 8), allowing play with varying wind directions throughout the round.
Wanumetonomy will be celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2022.
OVERVIEW OF WANUMETONOMY GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB GOLF COURSE OPERATIONS
- Seth Raynor designed golf course, Ron Prichard long-range restoration 1999
- 18 holes, 120 acres
- $740,000 operating and capital budget
- 22,000 rounds of golf
- Poa Annua greens, Rye and Bent fairways
Wanumetonomy Golf and Country Club Website: www.wanumetonomy.com
The Golf Course Superintendent (GCS) reports to the General Manager and liaises with the Green Committee at Wanumetonomy. The GCS is expected to provide quality leadership and will lead and manage his/her department to ensure superb golf course conditioning on a daily basis. The GCS is responsible for all day-to-day operations of the Wanumetonomy golf course and grounds.
In addition, the GCS will provide innovative, relevant leadership and will perpetuate and foster a team environment and culture. The GCS must have a natural style of “sincere engagement” with members and staff along with a love of the game of golf and a relentless attention to detail.
INITIAL AREAS OF FOCUS
- Assess growing conditions of greens
- Irrigation system maintenance and programming
- Develop and assess water conditions and availability
- Develop standard operating and course conditioning procedures
- Institute a high level of detail work
- Develop team training and evaluation systems
- Create an efficient work environment in the golf course maintenance buildings and course equipment
The ideal candidate will be a Golf Course Superintendent or the First Assistant at a similar country club or golf club with a minimum of five years’ experience.
- Successful experience with managing poa annua greens in similar climates
- Familiar with and successful experience managing New England seasonal turfs
- Experience with Toro Irrigation Systems
- Understanding of all pest control techniques
- Solid irrigation management philosophy and practices
- Strong agronomic skills-stays current with advances in turf technology and equipment
- Proven history of providing exceptional golfing conditions and managing all aspects of the golf course and landscape at the highest level
- Subscribes to sustainable maintenance practices (e.g. firm and fast, sound irrigation philosophy)
- High energy, focused leader
- Possesses leadership qualities that have resulted in high employee satisfaction-proven staff retention, low turnover
- Strong relationship builder with a history of excellent relations with their Head Golf Professional and General Manager
- Experience developing standard operating procedures and training programs
- Experience mentoring team members
- Proven success in developing assistants
- Excellent communication skills-listens to and responds to both club members and team members
- Strong budget management and forecasting skills
- Experience developing capital equipment replacement plans
- Strong observational skills, detail oriented
- Highly organized
- Golfer/student of the game with a sound understanding of ideal playing conditions
- High Golf IQ is essential
- Bi-lingual is a plus (Spanish)
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
A degree in turf management or related field of study is required. GCSAA Certification and Pesticide Certification is preferred. Applicants must have Applicator’s License – State of RI.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The club, along with the typical GCSAA benefits, offers an excellent performance bonus and benefit package.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and cover letter (in that order) using the email link address below.
IMPORTANT: Save your resume and letter in the following manner:
“Last Name, First Name Resume”
“Last Name, First Name Cover Letter”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format)
Lead Search Executive:
Dennis Sonnenburg, CCM
Wanumetonomy Golf and Country Club
152 Browns Lane
Middletown, RI 02842
Date posted: November 20, 2017 – December 8, 2017