Agawam Hunt is excited to announce the career opportunity of Assistant Club Superintendent. This position is available to be filled immediately.
About the Club
Founded in 1897, Agawam Hunt is one of the original 25 USGA Member Clubs. A family friendly, year-round club located minutes from downtown Providence, Agawam boasts some of the finest recreational facilities in New England, including a historic Donald Ross designed golf course.
Assistant Club Superintendent
The Assistant Club Superintendent reports directly to the Club Superintendent. Under the superintendent's supervision, the Assistant Superintendent directs and participates in the maintenance of the golf course tees, greens, fairways, and cart paths; supervises the maintenance and repair of motorized and other mechanical equipment; and does related work as required. The Assistant Superintendent may serve in the Superintendent's capacity during his/her absence. Assist in maintaining a championship 18-hole golf course and overall grounds maintenance for a 130-acre property. Duties will also include maintenance of 10 grass tennis courts, 4 HarTru clay courts, and landscaping around the clubhouse.
Agawam Hunt is proud to be in partnership with The Nature Conservancy to manage and preserve our Golf Course in perpetuity. Under guidance from the Conservancy, we are committed to an environmental approach to maintenance that includes replantation of native species and lower water and chemical usage that preserves the integrity of our outstanding turf while also ensuring that our environment is safe for our members and the wildlife.
Job Title: Assistant Club Superintendent
Location: Agawam Hunt, 15 Roger Williams Avenue, Rumford RI 02916
- The Assistant Superintendent(s) must possess a keen eye for detail with the ability to anticipate and problem solve as they arise.
- Ability to schedule and supervise maintenance work to achieve the most efficient utilization of workers and equipment; prepare clear and concise reports; and maintain effective employee and public relations.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- A 2-year degree or 2-4 years golf course experience required.
- Ability to obtain RI pesticide license 3B within 60 days of hire.
Necessary Knowledge & Experience
- Working knowledge of the maintenance of golf course tees, fairways and greens; seeding and maintenance practices for golf course turf; planting, cultivating, pruning, and caring for plants, shrubs and trees; characteristics and proper use of various fertilizers and soil conditioners; herbicides and pest control methods and materials; drainage control methods; and irrigation systems, including wells, pumps and automatic controls.
- Management of all crew members assignments.
- Effectively and efficiently manage a crew of 10-14.
- Must display effective training skills with newly hired employees to the industry.
- Implement and enforce safety practices to ensure a safe work environment.
- Assist with all chemical, fertilizer and top-dressing applications.
- Must have knowledge of irrigation installation and repair.
- Experience in golf course construction and renovation.
- Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules as well as golf etiquette.
- Able to make quick thinking decisions.
- Excellent communication abilities, including writing, speaking and active listening
- Good planning skills, including design execution, resource allocation and contingencies
- Organizational skills, including time management, delegation, prioritization and multitasking
- Ability to perform heavy physical labor. May be required to work in an environment that includes such activities as bending, lifting, stooping, kneeling, climbing, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling and grasping for up to 5 hours without sitting. May need to lift up to 100 lbs. occasionally and up to 50 lbs. frequently.
Commensurate with experience
- Local and national dues associations
- Single health insurance
- Life insurance
- Golfing privileges
- Uniforms provided
- Meals provided while working
Please send cover letter and resume to: Dan Bastille GCS at email@example.com