Facility: The Orchards Golf Course
Location: Milford, Connecticut
Position: Golf Course Superintendent
The Orchards Golf Course is a 9 hole par 32 layout in the heart of Milford, Connecticut and is owned by the City of Milford, CT. The course is a valuable recreational amenity for the City and is kept in exceptional condition. The course is open to the public and averages 30,000+ rounds per season. The course is operated/managed by The Northeast Golf Company. This position is with The Northeast Golf Company/Golf Course Management Services.
The Ideal Candidate:
The Orchards Golf Course is seeking an experienced, responsible, self starting and innovative individual to embrace the position of Golf Course Superintendent This individual will motivate and lead the grounds staff as well as take on a hands on approach to managing the golf course. The successful candidate must take pride in presentation and in delivering exceptional playing conditions for the Orchards Golf Course guests. The Golf Course Superintendent will work closely with the Clubhouse Staff and report directly to the NGC Management
- Oversees the care and maintenance of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and natural areas, environmental zones and water bodies on the facility grounds.
- Manages water usage and the irrigation systems.
- Recruits, supervises and retains maintenance staff. Conducts employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action.
- Provides technical, operational and safety training for/with employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Provides and/or participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club's grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations- Must have current CT Pesticide Applicators License.
- Coordinates all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course Operations, including payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers with General Manager/Owner.
- Develops annual operating budget and plans for maintenance.
- Maintains records and completes required reporting. Order parts, supplies and equipment as needed.
- Communicates course conditions, issues daily with Clubhouse Manager/Staff
- Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities.
- Instill a sense of pride in teamwork which will contribute to achieving NGC’s vision of being the premier facility operator, providing unparalleled service, fostering enduring friendships, and a sense of happiness and community.
- Bachelor's degree in Agronomy or other appropriate technical area, or combinations of technical education, training, and experience
- Two or more years of experience managing facilities operation and maintenance staff in an environment with a variety of facilities. Minimum 2-year Degree or Certificate in Turf Management (or related field, like agronomy, horticulture, plant science, soil science).
- Extensive experience in growth/maintenance of all turf grasses, included but not limited to Bent grass, Poa Annua and bluegrass turf
- Demonstrated experience in construction, renovation, and grow-in experience
- Knowledge of environmental safety rules, regulations, and policies. Ability to conduct job site inspections to ensure compliance. Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with others.
- Demonstrated ability managing service contracts, developing and managing budgets.
- Ability to interpret planning specifications, documents, working drawings, and related reports.
- All Pertinent Chemical and Pesticide Certifications are required.
- Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
- Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating and motivating personnel.
- Interpersonal skill to resolve conflict and work with supervisors, City officials, employees, and the general public.
- Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
- Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
- General knowledge of mechanical equipment workings and reparations
Compensation / Benefits:
Salary: Commensurate with the requirements of the position *This is a position with The Northeast Golf Company and will require year round dedicated commitment to reach our agronomic goals.
Vacation: 5 days after 3 months of service, 5 additional days after 6 months of service plus off season flex time
Term: One year, renewable with 6 month and 12 month performance reviews during year one.
Additional package offerings: Up to $1000 in professional education (trade shows, classes, courses, certifications) subject to approval; regional and national association dues. Health Insurance Benefits/ 401K Benefits/Performance Bonuses available.
Position Available: Fall 2021
Application Deadline: October 15, 2021
Send Inquiries, Letter of Interest and Resume via email to
and hard copies to
The Northeast Golf Company
c/o Orchards Golf Course Position
118 Beauchamp Drive
Saunderstown, RI 02874