About the Club
Founded in 1897, Agawam Hunt is one of the original 25 USGA Member Clubs. A family friendly, year-round club located minutes from downtown Providence, Agawam boasts some of the finest recreational facilities in New England, including a historic Donald Ross designed golf course.
Golf Course and Grounds Superintendent
Responsible for maintaining a championship 18 hole golf course and overall grounds maintenance for a 130 acre property. Duties will also include maintenance of 10 grass tennis courts, 4 HarTru clay courts, and landscaping around the clubhouse. The responsibilities include: turf grass/plant material maintenance programs, property/asset management, personnel management, budget/forecasting, financial management, member relations, scheduling/maintenance of irrigation systems, BPM (Best Management Practices), IPM chemical applications and related recordings, and compliance of regulatory issues.
Agawam Hunt is proud to be in partnership with The Nature Conservancy to manage and preserve our Golf Course in perpetuity. Under guidance from the Conservancy, we are committed to an environmental approach to maintenance that includes replantation of native species and lower water and chemical usage that preserves the integrity of our outstanding turf while also ensuring that our environment is safe for our members and wildlife.
- Responsible for all phases of Golf Maintenance and Agronomic operations, cost control, and personnel, and improvement plans.
- Direct reporting relationship to the Managing Partner/General Manager.
- Works closely with, advises, and coordinates with the Assistant General Manager, Head Golf Professional, Golf Committee, and Executive Management Team as required on any issues related to golf course and grounds maintenance.
- Directs and participates in the construction and execution of capital improvement plans for the golf course, tennis, and clubhouse grounds.
- Designs and implements landscape plans for facility grounds.
- Administers and enforces all Club rules, regulations and policies for staff.
- Supports and assists with membership communications related to golf course operations.
- One on one professional member interaction necessary in addition to regular email communication to membership.
- Must be able to work independently and be a self-starting problem solver. A strong work ethic, a hands on approach with the ability to delegate when necessary, fiscal responsibility, and professionalism required.
- Must be able to work with and ultimately take input/direction from the Agawam team and prioritize tasking in the best interest of the club.
- Oversees the care and maintenance of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and wetlands on the facility grounds.
- Maintains an aggressive water usage tracking plan and irrigation systems and provides monthly reporting on retaining ponds, Ten Mile River, and other water source usage.
- Recruits, supervises, and trains maintenance staff. Conducts employee performance evaluations bi annually and exercises disciplinary action as needed. Creates an environment of trust, teamwork, and opportunity for employee advancement.
- Provides technical, operational, and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state, and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Oversees subordinates in proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment. Plans and budgets for additional or replacement capital expenditures.
- Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club's grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Supervises and controls all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course and Grounds Operations , including payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers.
- Develops annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects.
- Maintains records and completes required reporting. Orders parts, supplies, and equipment as needed.
- Schedules maintenance practices around member play and outings to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to members.
- Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities, including year round golf play, when and where necessary.
- Attends and participates in Club Meetings as requested by the Executive Team.
- Oversees the mechanic to repair and perform preventative maintenance on golf course equipment as required.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Knowledge of management and maintenance of poa annual/bent greens, fairways and roughs.
- Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
- Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating and motivating personnel.
- Interpersonal skills to resolve conflict and work with supervisors, officials, employees, members and the general public.
- Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
- Knowledge of irrigation systems and best practice water management techniques, including hand watering and use of ground water meters Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
- Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course/grounds maintenance and repair assignments.
- Ability and knowledge to lay out irrigation patterns, drainage patterns, construct tees, bunkers, and/or greens.
- Knowledge of and ability to execute equipment maintenance as required.
- Ability to be hands on and a team player.
- 3-5 years experience as a Golf Superintendent or 1st Assistant at a Golf course with a proven track record of excellent playing conditions and continuous improvement.
- Working knowledge and familiarity of computer skills required for financial reporting and control of operations, including use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid Driver's License.
- Pesticide Application License
- Minimum two year College degree in turfgrass management (four years strongly preferred)
- Basic knowledge of the Spanish language preferred
Qualified professionals are encouraged to email a cover letter and resume by December 1st to:
Important: Please save your resume and letter in the following manner for attachment to your email submission:
“Last Name, First Name - Resume”
“Last Name, First Name - Cover Letter”
(These documents should be in Word or PDF format.)