Lincoln Country Club (LCC) is a private, 9-hole, par 35, 5700-yard golf course located on 58 acres in Lincoln Rhode Island. LCC is currently operating with full membership with a 20% waiting list and has averaged nearly 15,000 rounds per season over the last five years. LCC is operated/managed by its membership and governed by its Board of Governors (BOG). The Golf Course Superintendent position is directly with Lincoln Country Club and reports to the Greens Committee Chairperson and the BOG.
Lincoln Country Club is seeking an experienced, responsible, self-motivated, and innovative individual to embrace the position of Golf Course Superintendent. This individual will motivate and lead the grounds staff and take a hands-on approach to managing the golf course. The successful candidate must take pride in presentation and in delivering exceptional playing conditions for Lincoln Country Club members and guests. The Golf Course Superintendent will work closely with LCC staff (PGA Golf Professional, food & beverage vendor) and report directly to the Greens Committee Chairperson.
- Oversees the care and maintenance of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and natural areas, environmental zones, and water bodies on the facility grounds.
- Manages water usage and the irrigation system.
- Recruits and manages golf course maintenance staff. Conducts employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action.
- Provides and/or participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers, pesticides, etc.) on the golf course grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations. Must have a current RI Pesticide Applicators License.
- Coordinates all expenses associated with the maintenance of the golf course grounds, including staff payroll, equipment, supplies, chemicals, and fertilizers.
- Develops an annual golf course maintenance operating plan and works with the Greens Committee Chairperson and BOG to develop an annual greens budget.
- Creates an equipment maintenance plan, maintains records, and completes required reporting. Orders service, parts, and supplies as needed.
- Communicates golf course maintenance equipment needs with the Greens Committee Chairperson and BOG.
- Communicates course condition issues daily with staff and escalates issues/concerns to the Greens Committee Chairperson when necessary.
- Provides technical, operational and safety training for/with employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state, and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Coordinates a HAZCOM program and training for handling various chemicals used on the golf course grounds.
- Creates and manages Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for all chemicals used on the golf course grounds.
- Instill a sense of pride and teamwork which will contribute to achieving LCC’s vision of being the premier 9-hole private facility in the area.
- Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities for the facility.
- Bachelor's degree in Agronomy or a minimum 2-year Degree or Certificate in Turf Management, (or related field, such as horticulture, plant science, soil science) or other appropriate combinations of technical education, training, and experience.
- Four or more years of experience with golf course maintenance operation and maintenance staff management.
- Extensive experience in growth/maintenance of all turf grasses, included but not limited to Bent grass, Poa Annua and bluegrass turf.
- Demonstrated experience in construction, renovation, and grow-in experience.
- Knowledge of environmental safety rules, regulations, and policies. Ability to conduct job site inspections to ensure compliance.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with others.
- Demonstrated ability managing service contracts and developing/managing budgets.
- All pertinent chemical and pesticide certifications are required.
- Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
- Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating, and motivating personnel.
- Working knowledge and familiarity of computer skills required for financial reporting and control of operations, including use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
- Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
- General knowledge of mechanical equipment workings and reparations.
- Basic knowledge of the Spanish language is desired but not required.
Compensation / Benefits:
Commensurate with experience pertaining to the requirements of the position. This is a position with Lincoln Country Club and will require year-round dedicated commitment to reach our agronomic goals.
Five days after three months of service, five additional days after 6 months of service, plus off-season flex time.
One year with biannual performance reviews with a 3-year renewable option after year one requiring mutual consent of both parties.
Additional package offerings:
Up to $1000 in professional education (trade shows, classes, courses, certifications) subject to approval; regional and national association dues. health insurance benefits, 401K benefits, performance bonus available.
Position Available: January 1, 2022
Application Deadline: November 10, 2021
Qualified professionals are encouraged to email a cover letter and resume by November 10 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to attach these documents in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Lincoln Country Club
c/o Board of Governors
31 Dexter Rock Road
Lincoln RI, 02865