Wanumetonomy Golf and Country Club is seeking an Assistant Superintendent to join our team, and provide highly detailed, engaged and collaborative leadership for our 18-hole golf course and employees. The individual will be integrated into the daily operations, project management and leadership development.
Wanumetonomy Golf and Country Club translates “windy hill” was founded in 1922 and will celebrate its centennial this coming year. The 18 hole course was designed by famed architect Seth Raynor and Wanumetonomy has seen only two other golf architects in its history.
Tyler Rae has designed our current Master Plan, which we look to start construction in March. During the upcoming year, the club is hosting many events with the top three being the Rhode Island State Amateur, Centennial, and a two day Seth Raynor Society event.
Shaun Marcellus, Golf Course Superintendent, and the Grounds team provide an extraordinary learning environment where individuals are empowered to develop critical thinking skills, cultivate relationships and work in a supportive, collaborative team environment. The department utilizes latest technology, prescribes modern leadership and management training, and leverages relationships locally and nationally to provide team members every opportunity to achieve their goals. We expect individuals to actively contribute, grow and learn, and continue to elevate conditions and operations.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.wanumetonomygrounds.com
Success Traits of Candidate:
- Positive attitude, high character
- Growth-mindset to advance in the turf industry
- Desires a great quality of life, and is able to effectively manage time for themselves and others
- Communicates respectfully to staff members, and can actively contribute to developing others
- Constructive listener, who can make sound decisions and take initiative with attention to detail, but isn’t afraid to ask for help in uncomfortable situations
- Reports directly to the Golf Course Superintendent, and manages a team of 14-18 individuals throughout the season
- Takes leadership role in instructing and coaching staff on daily operations including mowing, water management, course set up, projects and bunker maintenance
- Applies fertilizers and plant protectants with safety and compliance as a top priority
- Collaborates with other managers including Equipment Manager to ensure proper working conditions in the maintenance shop facilities and golf course.
- Develop proper communication channels to check systems, processes and work activities for potential improvements
- Collects data and tracking information to present informed management decisions
- Prefer 2 or 4 year degree, certificate or related field of turf management
- Prefer at least a year of experience but not needed
Compensation & Benefits
- Continued professional development, local and national association dues
- Volunteer opportunities
- Leadership and management development training
- Free golf, ability to play in associations events
- Meals provided when club is open
- Participation in simple IRA plan - after one year
- Medical, dental and vision - club covers 90%
- Paid personal time (2 weeks)
- Weekends off during off season- no snow duties from thanksgiving to April 1st
- One day off a week during season
- Average 45-55 hours a week in season April-November
To apply, please click here to fill out an online application.