Nantucket Golf Club is an exclusive private golf club located on an island 30 miles from Cape Cod. The course was designed by Rees Jones and named Best New Private Golf Course by Golf Digest. The club continually invests in capital improvement projects. In recent years, we expanded our golf course management facility, built 22 new tee boxes, completed a renovation of our driving range and short game area, and received a new and complete fleet of Toro equipment and Club Car utility carts. In the fall of 2023, we will begin a complete bunker renovation. In 2024, with Tanto Irrigation, we will begin an irrigation replacement project (Toro 2-wire system).
Past assistants have been successful in attaining Golf Course Superintendent positions or closely related positions in the turf industry. Our management philosophy, coupled with large capital improvement projects, give our assistants the confidence and experience necessary to be successful in their careers.
Purpose of Position:
Under the direction of the Golf Course Manager, the Second Assistant Superintendent is part of the management team that oversees and ensures the quality of the golf course, grounds, and capital improvement projects.
- Assists with overseeing the successful management of Golf Course Management (GCM) operations. Works in cooperation with the Golf Course Manager, Senior Assistant, and additional Assistant to maintain the golf course and surrounding areas in a manner required to meet member satisfaction.
- Collaborates with Golf Course Manager and Senior Assistant to manage and direct GCM staff in daily operations, designating job functions, and ensuring completion of tasks and duties. Responsible with GCM management staff for hiring, training, scheduling, and performance assessment.
- Supervises and directs staff as assigned. Encourages staff teamwork, keeps morale high, and creates a positive, productive work environment. Actively assists with GCM internship program/mentoring.
- Coordinates with the Golf Course Manager to develop and plan annual GCM budget and forecasts for expenses, labor costs, and capital expenditures and projects. Completes required reports including, but not limited to, schedules, fertilizer and pesticide, water use, safety, and compliance.
- Administers and/or supervises the proper use, storage, and handling of fertilizers and chemicals.
- Pursues related education and training. Attends conferences and trade shows. Maintains necessary licenses and professional affiliations. Performs other duties as designated by the Golf Course Manager
- College degree or certificate in turfgrass management or related field. Two years prior golf club experience. Management experience desirable but will train the right individual.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary: $70,000, plus year-end bonus. Housing available
- Health and dental insurance – 100% of premiums paid by club. 401k with company match
- Excellent work/quality of life balance – during the season and offseason. Vacation and paid time off
- Career advancement resources available and fees reimbursed or paid directly by the club
- Uniforms, lunches during the club season, golfing privileges, golf shop employee discount
- GSCAA and local chapter dues. Continuing education, conferences and tradeshows
Application instructions: Open immediately and until filled. Please email cover letter and resume to Mark Lucas, Golf Course Manager, at email@example.com