Whitinsville Golf Club
Whitinsville Golf Club is a private 9-hole Donald Ross design that is located in Whitinsville, MA. The course opened for play in 1925 and is considered one of the best 9-hole layouts in the country. In its 2018 rankings, Golfweek magazine rated WGC as the 72nd best classic golf course in America. Over the past handful of year, WGC has followed a Gil Hanse master plan to restore the golf course to its original Donald Ross intentions and the club continues to follow this master plan with other planned work in the near future. The membership is very proud of the golf course and its history and is very excited to announce the position opening of Golf Course Superintendent.
Golf Course Superintendent Job Description
Responsible for operation of the golf course operation and maintenance. The responsibilities include: turf grass/plant material maintenance programs, property/asset management, personnel management, budget/forecasting, financial management, member relations, scheduling/maintenance of irrigation system and pump house, pesticide applications, related recordings, and compliance of regulatory issues. The Golf Course Superintendent works to create an environment where staff is involved and enthusiastic, with open communications and respect for themselves, members, guests and the property.
- Responsible for all phases of golf course maintenance and agronomic operations, cost control, and personnel.
- Works closely with, advises, and coordinates with the Head Golf Professional on any issues related to golf course maintenance.
- Directs and participates in the construction and maintenance of the grounds.
- Designs landscape plans for facility grounds and implements the plan.
- Administers and enforces all Club rules, regulations and policies for the grounds staff.
- Responsible for the care and upkeep of all maintenance related facilities, irrigation system and pump house, and golf course maintenance equipment.
- Works closely with the General Manager and Board of Governors to operate the golf course in a fiscally responsible and professional manner.
- Must be able to work independently and be a self-starting problem solver.
- Oversees the care and maintenance of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and wetlands on the property.
- Directs and assists the staff on the planting of new vegetation, the replacement, spraying, pruning and trimming of trees and shrubs.
- Manages a water usage tracking plan for the irrigation system and provides all necessary reports to federal, state, and local offices where necessary.
- Recruits, supervises and retains maintenance staff. Conducts employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action.
- Provides technical, operational and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state, and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Oversees subordinates in proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment. Plans and budgets for additional or replacement capital equipment.
- Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club’s grounds in compliance with all local, state and federal regulations. Provide application records to all local, state or federal offices where necessary.
- Supervises and controls all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course Operations, including payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers.
- Develops annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects.
- Maintains records and completes required reporting. Order parts, supplies and equipment as needed.
- Schedules maintenance practices around member play and outings to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to members and guests.
- Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities when necessary.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Knowledge of management and maintenance of greens, tees, fairways and roughs.
- Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
- Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating and motivating personnel.
- Interpersonal skill to resolve conflict and work with supervisors, officials, employees, members and the general public.
- Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
- Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
- Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course maintenance and repair assignments.
- Ability and knowledge to lay out irrigation patterns, drainage patterns, construct tee and/or greens.
- Must have a strong mechanical aptitude. Experience in maintaining turf equipment and reel maintenance is vital.
- Knowledge of managing classic golf course architecture, including poa annua on native push-up greens.
- 3-5 years of experience as a golf course superintendent or 1st assistant.
- 2 year Degree or Certificate in Turfgrass Management (or related field, like agronomy, horticulture, plant science, or soil science).
- Advance computer skills required for financial reporting and control of operations, including use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Must hold a Massachusetts Category 37 Restricted Use Pesticide License or be able to obtain one within 60 days of hire.
Job Benefits and Application Instructions
- Pay range will be $60,000 - $70,000 based on experience.
- Vehicle allowance; individual retirement account contribution; expense account for cell phone, association dues, continuing education credits and licenses required for employment.
- Club pays 50% of health insurance coverage.
- Please email cover letter, resume and any additional support materials to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of WGC Superintendent Search Committee.
- Application deadline is Tuesday, January 1st, 2019.
- Ideally the new candidate will start sometime in February, but no later than March 1st.