Position Opening: Assistant Superintendent
Agawam Hunt, 15 Roger Williams Avenue, Rumford, RI 02916
About the Club
Founded in 1897, Agawam Hunt is one of the original 25 USGA Member Clubs. A family friendly, year-round club located minutes from downtown Providence, Agawam boasts some of the finest recreational facilities in New England, including a historic Donald Ross designed golf course.
The assistant golf course superintendent reports directly to the golf course superintendent. Under the superintendent's supervision, the assistant superintendent directs and participates in the maintenance of the golf course tees, greens, fairways, and cart paths; supervises the maintenance and repair of motorized and other mechanical equipment; and does related work as required. The assistant superintendent may serve in the superintendent's capacity during his/her absence.
Assist in maintaining a championship 18-hole golf course and overall grounds maintenance for a 130-acre property. Duties will also include maintenance of 10 grass tennis courts, 4 HarTru clay courts, and landscaping around the clubhouse.
Agawam Hunt is proud to be in partnership with The Nature Conservancy to manage and preserve our Golf Course in perpetuity. Under guidance from the Conservancy, we are committed to an environmental approach to maintenance that includes replantation of native species and lower water and chemical usage that preserves the integrity of our outstanding turf while also ensuring that our environment is safe for our members and the wildlife.
- Assists in planning and supervising the maintenance of greens, tees and fairways; schedules work; and supervises the employees and the use of the equipment.
- Instructs equipment operators on the operation and care of mowing and other equipment; supervises pesticide applications and/or operates and calibrates pesticide application equipment; and supervises and participates in the operation and maintenance of pumps, and in the maintenance of irrigation and drainage systems.
- Assists in personnel management and evaluation, employee safety and personnel discipline.
- May modify the daily work schedule based on professional interpretation.
- Working knowledge of the maintenance of golf course tees, fairways and greens; seeding and maintenance practices for golf course turf; planting, cultivating, pruning, and caring for plants, shrubs and trees; characteristics and proper use of various fertilizers and soil conditioners; herbicides and pest control methods and materials; drainage control methods; and irrigation systems, including wells, pumps and automatic controls.
- Ability to schedule and supervise maintenance work to achieve the most efficient utilization of workers and equipment; prepare clear and concise reports; and maintain effective employee and public relations.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- May require current state certification or licensing as a pesticide applicator.
To apply, please send your resume to Daniel Bastille, Golf Course Superintendent, at Dbasatille@agawamhunt.org.