Marion Golf Club - Superintendent
Position Job Overview:
Responsible for operation of the golf course operation and maintenance year-round. The responsibilities include: turf grass/plant material maintenance programs, property/asset management, personnel management, budget/forecasting, financial management, member relations, scheduling/maintenance or irrigation systems, pesticide applications, related recordings, and compliance of regulatory issues. The Golf Course Superintendent works to create an environment where staff (small team of 2-3) is involved and enthusiastic, with open communications and respect for themselves, golfers and the property.
The course has irrigation on tees and greens only.
New management is operating Marion Golf Club and it is currently a low-key, 9 hole operation with a small team. This person will play a leading role in the operation and needs to be a “jack of all traits.” The operation is currently spartan and there will be challenges early on due to the current lack of infrastructure.
Marion Golf Club is George C. Thomas’s first course design (later designs include Los Angeles Country Club, Riviera and Bel-Air, among others).
Management intends to pursue a long-term restoration project to enhance the golf course and maximize the enjoyment of this original “museum piece” Thomas design.
Compensation: $55,000 annual salary plus benefits.
- Responsible for all phases of Golf Maintenance and Agronomic operations, cost control, and personnel.
- Works closely with, advises, and coordinates with management on any issues related to golf course maintenance.
- Directs and participates in the construction and maintenance of the grounds. Administers and enforces all Club rules, regulations and policies for staff.
- Works closely with the GM to operate the Golf Course in a fiscally responsible and professional manner. Must be able to work independently and be a self-starting problem solver.
- Oversees the care and maintenance of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and wetlands on the facility grounds.
- Directs and assists the staff on the planting of new vegetation, the replacement, spraying, pruning and trimming of trees and shrubs, the preparation of soil plant beds for aesthetically pleasing arrangements and tending to high stress areas.
- Manages an aggressive water usage tracking plan and irrigation systems and provides monthly reporting on retaining ponds, wells and other water source usage.
- Recruits, supervises and retains maintenance staff. Conducts employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action.
- Provides technical, operational and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Oversees subordinates in proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment. Plans and budgets for additional or replacement capital equipment.
- Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club's grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Supervises and controls all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course Operations, including payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers.
- Develops annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects. Maintains records and completes required reporting. Order parts, supplies and equipment as needed. Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities when necessary.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Previous experience managing the agronomic operations of a golf course located in the northeast with cool season grass species constructed on native soil.
- Knowledge and use of operating standards for equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
- Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating and motivating personnel.
- Interpersonal skill to resolve conflict and work with supervisors, officials, employees, members and the general public.
- Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products. Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
- Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course maintenance and repair assignments.
- Experience in golf course construction techniques in relationship to building greens, tees, bunkers, drainage, and irrigation.
- Prefer 2-year Degree or Certificate in Turf Management (or related field, like agronomy, horticulture, plant science, soil science).
- Computer skills required for financial reporting and control of operations, including use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Must have and maintain a Commercial Pesticide Applicators License in the State of Massachusetts)
- Prior Golf Course Superintendent experience or 3 years experience as a Senior Assistant Golf Course Superintendent)
To apply for this position, please send your resume to Rachel Baker at:email@example.com