Kings Crossing Golf Club
655 Old Baptist Road
North Kingstown, RI
I. Position- GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT/OWNER’S REPRESENTATIVE
II. Position Overview:
Specifically looking for-
HUNGRY, RESPONSIBLE INDIVIDUAL DEDICATED TO THE PROFESSION LOOKING TO USE THEIR SKILLS TO MAKE OUR COURSE THEIR OWN!
Responsible for maintenance and management of the 9 hole golf course system and associated amenities at Kings Crossing Golf Club in North Kingstown, RI. The responsibilities include: turf grass/plant material maintenance programs, property/asset management, personnel management, budget/forecasting, financial management, scheduling/maintenance of irrigation systems, pesticide applications, related recordings, and compliance of regulatory issues. The Golf Course Superintendent works to create an environment where staff is involved and enthusiastic, with open communications and respect for themselves, members, guests, the playing public and the property.
III. Basic Functions:
- Responsible for all phases of Golf Maintenance and Agronomic operations, cost control, and personnel.
- Works closely with, advises, and coordinates with the General Manager/Owner on any issues related to golf course maintenance.
- Directs and participates in the construction and maintenance of the grounds.
- Execute landscape plans for facility grounds and implements the plan.
- Administers and enforces all Club rules, regulations and policies for maintenance staff.
- Supports and assists with membership seminars and orientations.
- Works closely with the GM/Owner to operate the Golf Course in a fiscally responsible and professional manner.
- Must be able to work independently and be a self-starting problem solver.
IV. Primary Duties:
- Oversees the care and maintenance of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and natural areas, environmental zones and water bodies on the facility grounds.
- Directs and assists the staff on the planting of new vegetation, the replacement, spraying, pruning and trimming of trees and shrubs, the preparation of soil plant beds for aesthetically pleasing arrangements and tending to high stress areas.
- Manages a water usage tracking plan and the irrigation systems and provides monthly reporting on wells and other water source usage.
- Recruits, supervises and retains maintenance staff. Conducts employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action.
- Provides technical, operational and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Oversees subordinates in proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment. Plans and budgets for additional or replacement capital equipment with Owner.
- Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club's grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations- Must have current RI Pesticide Applicators License.
- Coordinates all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course Operations, including payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers with General Manager/Owner.
- Develops annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects.
- Maintains records and completes required reporting. Order parts, supplies and equipment as needed.
- Schedules maintenance practices around member/public play and outings to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to members.
- Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities.
V. Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Knowledge of management and maintenance of poa greens, fairways and roughs.
- Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
- Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating and motivating personnel.
- Interpersonal skill to resolve conflict and work with supervisors, officials, employees, members and the general public.
- Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
- Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
- Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course maintenance and repair assignments.
- Ability and knowledge to lay out irrigation patterns, drainage patterns, construct tees, bunkers and/or greens.
VI. Minimum Qualifications:
HUNGRY, RESPONSIBLE INDIVIDUAL DEDICATED TO THE PROFESSION LOOKING TO MAKE A COURSE THEIR OWN!
- 3-5 years experience as a Golf Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent
- 2-year Degree or Certificate in Turf Management (or related field, like agronomy, horticulture, plant science, soil science).
- Advance computer skills required for financial reporting and control of operations, including use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Valid Driver's License.
- RI Pesticide Application License (or application for RI license)
- Prefer Membership in the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America
VII. Reports to the Owner
Golf Course Maintenance Staff
IX. Compensation Package:
Salary: Commensurate with experience and requirements of the position *This is a position with a startup/recently purchased facility and will require commitment 5-7 days per week, 10-12 hours per day during growing season to reach our agronomic goals. Employment will begin immediately upon date of purchase (to be determined, expected Mar, 2020) through on or about December 15, 2020. (seasonal close date to be determined)
Vacation: 5 days after 3 months of service, 5 additional days after 6 months of service plus off season
Term: One year with 6 month and 12 month performance reviews.
Position Objective: Achieve/surpass agronomic goals, course conditioning, employee management
Additional package offerings: Up to $500 in professional education (trade shows, classes, courses, certifications)- subject to approval
Robert McNeil, ASGCA
Owner, Kings Crossing Golf Club